Wednesday 17 July 2013

Why write for a living?

When I first started to write and earn an income from my writing I didn’t really appreciate the benefits this new lifestyle would bring me. It wasn’t until I realised I could take a flexible approach to both my writing and non-writing activities that the true benefits really dawned on me – I could live life on my terms. Go surfing when the surf was up, watch my children at sports day and work at a time of day that suited me.

I still have to work hard at my business, yes writing is both business and pleasure, however I can choose my working hours and, more importantly for me, where I work.

I am typing this blog post in my garden during the cooler evening hours. In a few days I’ll be by the sea; in between surfing I’ll be completing my book and continuing to blog. The hour each morning I used to spend commuting is now spent in bed with my laptop writing, marketing or updating sales data.

Whilst some days I spend 12 or 14 hours on writing or writing related activities there are times when much of the day is spent with my family.

Why not give it a go, start writing your first book, short story, article or blog and make the switch from the 9 - 5 routine to a flexible approach to work.


Happy writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment